Jan. 17, 1882 - The court-house of Dickinson County burned and nearly all the county records were destroyed, except those of the register of deeds, which were in another building
Mar. 27, 1882 - Twenty-four of the principal points of Winfield were connected by telephone.
Jun. 5, 1882 - The Fort Scott Water Company became organized and incorporated.
July 7, 1882 - The first class graduated in the highest course of history, geography, book-keeping, grammar and arithmetic in the Franklin County school system, graduated , in district No. 41, W. A. Altman, teacher. The names of the graduates were Mary Lester, May Farnum, Agnes Farnum, Carrie Bohnet, Ella Gillett and Emma Gillett.
Jul. 10, 1882 - The Peabody Post of the Grand Army of the Republic was organized.
Oct. 4, 1882 - The first issue of the German-American Advocate newspaper was printed at Hays.
Nov. 3, 1882 - Louisburg was made a city of the third class.
Nov. 26, 1882 - The new Methodist Church in Chapman was dedicated, replacing the one which was blown down by high winds earlier in the year.
Dec. 12, 1882 - The Independent Volunteer Cavalry Company (State Militia) of Oberlin, Kansas was organized.