Nicodemus National Historic Site, commemorating the only remaining western town established by African Americans during the Reconstruction Period following the American Civil War is in town. During the last weekend of July, former residents of the town return for celebrations and parades.
Please see Nicodemus National Historic Site for more information.
The Early History of Nicodemus
by Frank W. Blackmar (1883)
Nicodemus, a hamlet in Nicodemus township, Graham county, is located near the mouth of Spring creek, 12 miles northeast of Hill City, the county seat, and 6 miles in the same direction from Bogue, the nearest shipping point. It is on the daily stage line between Stockton and Bogue; has a money order postoffice, and in 1910 reported a population of 73. This was the location of one of the negro colonies established at the time of the exodus, and Nicodemus was the name of an ex-slave who purchased his liberty before the war.