Hiawatha was founded in 1857. John M. Coe, John P. Wheller, and Thomas J. Drummond were instrumental in organizing the town, and the site was staked out February 17, 1857. B.L. Rider reportedly was responsible for naming Hiawatha, taking the young Indian's name from Henry W. Longfellow's poem, "Song of Hiawatha." The main street was designated Oregon Street after the Oregon Trail. Parallel streets north of it were named after Indian tribes north of the Trail, and streets south carried tribal names of those south of the Trail. Hiawatha became the Brown County Seat in 1858, and the first school opened in 1870.
Early History of Hiawatha
By William G. Cutler, 1883
History of Hiawatha
Hiawatha, the county seat of Brown County, is located in one of the most beautiful plains of this prairie country, and not far from the geographical center of the county. From the upper floor of any large building can be seen a magnificent amphitheater of twenty square miles of gently undulating prairie, which seems to so melt in the distance that the eye is scarce able to discern where earth ceases and the cape flyaway of the clouds begins. Spread over this space are the substantial houses and well-kept fields which show long residence and careful tillage. Within the city, grouped around the public square and on Oregon street, are the chief business houses. Radiating in every direction are neat residences with trim, well-kept yards, and here and there the costly buildings which indicate that individual wealth has already been acquired from the growing trade of the yet new country.
The first house erected in Hiawatha stood on the northwest corner of Sixth and Oregon streets, and was occupied by Partch and Barnum as a hotel, and later by A. Sellig, who managed it until the building of the old Hiawatha House. This was in the early summer of 1857, and claims in the county were constantly being taken by speculators from other States, who, after making slight improvements and erecting claim shanties generally departed, either to return another year or to sell their claims. It was no uncommon sight to see these men, who rarely did their claim work personally, lounging about the old hotel to the number of forty or fifty. The first term of the District Court was held in this house.
The second building was built by a Mr. Partch, and stood on the east side of Sixth street, opposite the Court House. It was occupied as a general store by H. R. Dutton and B. L. Rider. In 1858, it was sold to W. B. Barnett, afterwards of the banking firm of Barnett, Morrill & James, now a prominent citizen of Hiawatha. In 1857 there were but two buildings on the town site.
The first postmaster of Hiawatha was H. R. Dutton, who was appointed July 13, 1858, and held office four years. He was followed by Joseph Pascal, who also retained the office for four years. In 1866 H. Graves received the appointment. W. B. Barnett was Postmaster from 1870-74, and yielded to H. Graves, who, however, failed to fill the full term and was succeeded by N. E. Chapman on April 5, 1878. Mr. Chapman was in turn succeeded by J. D. Blair on May 8, 1882.
During this time the postoffice had been located successively at the store of H. R. Dutton, on lot 77, Oregon street; in Pascals drug store, on the east side of the square; on lot 79, on Oregon street, and finally in the Opera House building, on Sixth and Oregon streets, where it is at once centrally and commodiously located.
The earliest record of the public schools of this place bears date March 25, 1870, and records the election of E. Bierer as Director; B. F. McCoy, District Clerk, and George Amann, District Treasurer. The next record is a year later and records the election of Mr. C. D. Lawrence, as Director - a position he has ever since held. It was at this time decided to purchase two lots on Miami Street in the northeast part of the town as a site for a schoolhouse. In 1873, what is now known as the old schoolhouse, was built on these lots at a cost of $6,000. This structure was of native stone, and was fifty by thirty-two feet, and two stories in height. On April 4, 1873, the appointment of three teachers was recorded. These were L. S. Herbert, Principal; and Miss Albee and Miss Welcome, Assistants.
Doubtless the stone schoolhouse was considered a commodious building and suited to the needs of the school for a number of years to come; but it is evident that the estimate of the citys growth fell far below the realization; for in 1874, only a year later, it was found necessary to obtain better accommodations. At a meeting held on April 10, 1874, it was decided to build a new permanent schoolhouse, not to exceed in cost $35,000. One-third of this sum was to be expended in the first year, and the remainder during successive years. In the fall of 1875, Miss Mary A. P. Cracraft and Miss Mary Maxey were added to the force of teachers, and the school room proving utterly insufficient, a room was hired of D. C. Swayze, and used for the primary department, taught by Miss Liggitt.
On February 22, 1875, the board having received the petition of more than one-third of the legal voters of the district, praying for special election to determine the question of issuing bonds in $15,000 for building a new schoolhouse, set an election for March 6 of the same year. These bonds were to have ten years to run and were couple with the condition that none should be sold for less than ninety-five per cent of their par value. At the special election of March 6, the vote stood 146 for and 58 against the bonds. The issue of bonds having been decided upon it became necessary to choose a building site. At a meeting held March 8, 1875, an election to decide which of a number of eligible localities should be selected was called for March 20. At this later meeting the present site known as site four and the property of Mr. Bowers, received fifty-four votes and a clear majority over all. A call for plans and specifications was next in order, and after examination of a number submitted, those of Steiger, Boetner & Co., were accepted. The contract for erecting the structure was then offered and finally awarded to Mr. B. Amann at $13,000.
The school building thus obtained has seven rooms and a large department for each. Its teachers are L. D. Whittemore, principal; Misses Lizzie Herbert, Lizzie Isles, Jennie Isles, Lou Chance, R. D. Kiner and Mrs. Eliza M. Cook. With an enrollment of over 400 scholars it can readily be seen that ere long the permanent quarters which six years ago seemed sufficient for a long time to come will shortly be too small. As long as practicable the schoolrooms, which in addition to the original heavy outlay have received numerous improvements, will be used. During the year 1881-82 steam heating was introduced throughout the building at a cost of $1,400.
Hiawatha may well be at once proud of her attractive school, its efficient teachers and the rapid growth which necessitates a constant increase of both.
Fire Department and Fires
The fire department of Hiawatha was organized in 1874, with a membership of thirty, and H. M. Waller as Chief. After running in this form till 1876, Mr. Waller resigned and E. Allendorf took charge of the department, where his name still appears as Chief. At the time of the organization, in 1874, a truck, with hooks and ladders, was purchased. In 1876, a Babcock Fire Extinguisher was added to the apparatus. In 1877 the hook and ladder truck was repaired and new ladders procured. The apparatus is placed in a building west of the new National Bank Block. The department meets on the first Monday of each month.
The city has but one cistern for fire purposes. This is located on the northeast corner of the square, and is supplied by a well close to it, water being raised by a wind-mill. It is proposed to place two more fire cisterns at the northwest and southwest corners of the square, where, owing to the slope of the land, they could readily be filled from the conduits of the court house roof.
On Thursday, November 30, 1871, The most destructive fire which has ever visited the city broke out in the drug store of Mitchell & Zehrung, on the east side of the Public Square. The flames were discovered about 2 A. M., and had made such headway as to preclude all idea of saving the building. Attention was then turned to saving the household effects of Mr. Mitchell, the senior partner of the firm, who occupied the upper story as a tenement. After various courageous attempts, the firemen were beaten off by the dense smoke and suffocating fumes from the burning drugs, which added, by constant explosions, to the danger of the situation. Abandoning their apparently futile work on the drug store, the citizens turned to the adjoining structures, which were all of wood and consequently in imminent danger.
On the north was a residence, but as it was about twenty feet from the burning building, and the wind blew fiercely from that quarter, it was comparatively safe. On the south the boot and shoe store of J. B. Butterfield, the boot and shoe shop of F. Zimmerman, and the hardware store of A. M. Blakesly. These were all of wood and with the inadequate means at hand it was manifestly impossible to save them. Attention was then turned to the removal of their contents, and the stock of the two nearest merchants made a hasty exit.
In the third building was a large stock of shelf and heavy hardware and a number of stoves which, spite of incessant labor, could not be rescued. Next to the south stood the jewelry store of Mr. T. B. Dickason, and the fine residence of Mr. I. Boker. To save the latter it was decided to tear down the jewelry store, and having removed all the stock, the firemen made short work of the building, which was a small one. The removal of this connecting link checked the advance of the fire, and it was from that time readily managed. The total loss by this fire was about $12,000. Of this Mitchell & Zimmerman lost $3,000 - well insured; Butterfield, $1,000; Zimmerman, $400 or $500; Blakesley, about $6,000 and Dickason about $500.
On Sunday morning, October 5, 1879, watchman Huff, in making his two oclock round, discovered fire in the upper part of the Hiawatha House. This hotel, which was built nearly twenty-two years before, was in 1879 of an extremely composite order of architecture. The older portion of this was of brick, but a large frame addition had been made to it, and it was on the upper floor of this part that flames were discovered. A large crowd of citizens turned out in response to the flames; but though burning slowly, the house was evidently doomed. Attention was then given to rescuing as much as possible of the furniture of the house and the personal property of its inmates. Mr. Ellis T. Carey, who was running the hotel was fully insured. The hotel proper was also insured to the amount of $2,000, which nearly offset the loss. The destruction of this hotel was a loss to the town for the time only, the erection of its namesake more than compensating for any divergence of trade through lack of hotel facilities.
Prohibition and the Hiawatha Club
One of the most exciting events that has occurred in the history of Hiawatha was the suppression of the Hiawatha Club. In 1875 the City Council denied all applications for licenses to open saloons or drinking places of any description. For a time this suddenly enforced prohibition was effectual. Sundry bibulous individuals, under the pressure of uneasy cravings for spirituous elevation, may have experienced symptoms calling for the aid of the druggist, and been granted relief; but there is no record of their maneuvers. In October, however, a new factor appeared upon the scene, in the formation of the Hiawatha Club.
There was no doubt of the aim of this organization, but it kept strictly in accordance with its avowed plan, the city authorities could take no legal cognizance of its workings. It was indubitably a clever scheme. The object of the circular gotten out by the club and numerously signed by the people of the neighborhood was as follows: We the undersigned hereby agree to and with each other to form and arrange a club for the purpose of social enjoyment, said club to have its rooms in the city of Hiawatha and to be known as the Hiawatha Club. Dated this seventh day of October, 1875.
On the same date F. W. Rohl and H. Stauff opened the club rooms in a building owned by J. W. Pottenger and located on lot ninety-one, Oregon street. Business was very brisk from the day of opening, and the crowd exchanging pasteboard checks for the irrigating fluid was constantly renewed. To all appearance the purchase of beer and whisky checks was all that was needed to acquire membership. On October 13th the club, as additional safeguard against the enforcement of the prohibitory law, adopted a regular constitution and by-laws, and elected a president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer, who, with five trustees formed the board of managers. Provision was also made for annual elections and monthly meetings, and also for the due proposal of persons desiring membership, and the payment of a small entrance fee. To overcome any delay in refreshing the tired of other places who might be in need of liquid support, it was added that any member may invite gentlemen to the rooms of the association for a single day on registering his own name with that of the visitor in a book kept for the purpose.
At this meeting several rules for the conduct of the club were adopted, among them one reading: This house shall be open from nine oclock in the morning, daily, for the reception of members, and close at twelve oclock (midnight). This did not involve the enforced departure of members of the club then in the house.
Two days later Mayor H. J. Aten issued an order for the closing of the club room for two days, ending on Saturday, October 16th, at midnight. This order was at once enforced by City Marshal G. T. Woodmansee. On the following Monday, however, the Hiawatha club was again in full blast, and for two days the flow of beer and the ardent was unchecked. On the 20th the Marshal, by order of the Mayor, made a second attempt to close the club rooms, but was met by Rohl and Stauff and a delegation of members and unceremoniously hustled into the street. Nothing daunted, the preserver of the peace made at brief intervals other fruitless efforts to gain possession of the rooms, and finally called to his aid Thomas McLaughlin, J. K. Klinefelter and G. E. Selleg, with whom he succeeded in bursting the door and ousting the club party.
The doors were then locked and the posse separated. Soon after the club party proceeded to the office of W. J. Richardson and procured a warrant for the arrest of the City Marshal, G. T. Woodmansee, and his assistants, on a charge of riot. They then returned to the club room, broke in and resumed business. Matters were getting serious and the feeling of the citizens was at fever heat when the suit brought by Rohl on behalf of the club was called before W. J. Richardson, Justice of the Peace. The Marshal and his party were defended by the City Attorney, A. R. May, Ira J. Lacock and C. E. Berry; the State appearing by the county attorney and Hon. James Faloon. A verdict for the defendants was rendered and the cost of suit taxed upon the plaintiffs.
These proceedings had brought considerable odium upon the club, and the better portion of the citizens who had at first patronized it, began to withdraw. Rohl & Stauff, however, continued the sale of beer and whisky and the place became the scene of the most disgusting debauches. This went on until November 18th, when the worthy pair who ran the business were arrested for violation of the city statute in regard to selling liquors. Convicted on the 22d before J. P. Mulhullen, the defendants appealed to the District Court and continued business. Again arrested on the 27th and tried on December 2, Rohl and Stauff pursued the same course.
On December 14 the Mayor issued a writ to the City Marshal ordering the abatement of this nuisance. This was the signal for the fiercest battle of this notorious contest. The Marshal armed with the writ of abatement presented himself at the club room, only to be met by the proprietors with drawn revolvers, and the warning that an attempt to interfere with their business would have fatal results. Yielding to superior force the Marshal retreated and made preparations to meet force with force. Raising a posse of twenty men he again appeared at the club room and made a forcible entry early on Christmas morning, 1875, capturing the books and papers of the society, destroying all the stock, and barricading the doors of the room with billiard tables and furniture, the posse went into camp.
Guards were placed at the outside of the building, and within the room, and for nearly two weeks the conquerors held the captured citadel. A large part of the members of the club and personal friends of Rohl and Stauff, lived in the country, at some distance from Hiawatha, and when the news of the capture of the club room spread, gathered in a large crowd near the building. No attempt was made to retake it, however, though there was much loud talking, and sanguinary threats were made.
This was practically the end of the business of the Hiawatha club. Petitions and counter petitions, and actions for ejectment were indulged in by various parties, and numerous and uninteresting processes gone through, with the final result of the surrender of Rohl and Stauff and their confession of inability to pay their fines. Confined in the city calaboose, the prisoners were one night rescued by their friends, but they were shortly after returned. Shortly after (April, 1876), a compromise was effected through the efforts of two pastors of the city, Rohl & Stauff being bankrupt. This ended the practical discussion of the temperance question in Hiawatha and it has never been revived.
First National Bank of Hiawatha. - This institution was chartered in October, 1881, and began business on November 22, in the new building, corner Oregon and Seventh streets. The capital of the bank is fifty thousand dollars. Its officers are, M. S. Smalley, president; S. A. Fulton, cashier, D. K. Babbit, vice president. The board of directors contains besides the above officers, E. Moser, Col. E. Bierer; J. C. Thomas, J. Beaty. The elegant three-story building which contains the bank, was erected in 1881, at a cost of seventeen thousand dollars. It is fifty by ninety feet on the ground floor, and is of St. Louis brick, with stone trimmings.
Morrill & Janes' Bank was formed on January 1, 1871, under the title of Barnett, Morrill & Co. and transacted business in a room over the stone drug store on Oregon near Sixth street. In 1872 the present bank building was erected at a cost, including the lots, of $8,500. Its size is twenty-five by fifty feet. It has two stories, but only the first is in use for banking purposes. In 1882, an L shaped building was built around the bank, making the whole structure fifty by one hundred feet. This bank is a private one and makes no statement of capital or assets, but is universally considered one of the most reliable in the State.
The Speer Elevator was built in 1873, at a cost of $10,000. The main building is twenty-six by forty feet and two stories in height. The ground space covered by the building and additions is twenty-six by ninety feet. The capacity of the elevator is 15,000 bushels. Power is furnished by an engine of fifteen horse power. The shipments of the past season (1881-82) were a trifle in excess of 250,000 bushels. The elevator has always been under the management of its builder, Mr. L. N. Speer, although since 1879, the style has been I. N. Speer & Co.
The Hiawatha Mill, built in 1868, by Covode & Snively, at a cost of $14,000 and stands near the tracks of the St. Joseph & Western and the Missouri Pacific Railway. The building is 75X35 feet, and two stories and a half in height. The machinery of the mill consists of four run of buhr-stones, three of which are used for wheat and one for corn. Power is furnished by a boiler of eighty and an engine of forty-horse power. The mill has a capacity estimated at the reduction of 140 bushels of wheat and eighty bushels of corn daily. It furnishes employment to four hands when running on day time, and to six when employed night and day. The property was purchased in 1882 by Mr. P. D. Tobie, who now operates it.
The Hiawatha House was built in 1880-81, by the Hiawatha Hotel Company, which came into being for the sole purpose of erecting, what the town had long needed, a first-class hotel building. The hotel stands opposite the public square and on the corner of Fifth and Utah streets. It is constructed in the most substantial manner of brick; has three stories on the north and two on the south and east sides, and contains forty room. It is under the management of Mr. J. Q. A. Jeffers.
In the summer of 1880, a company styled the Hiawatha Building Company, was organized for the purpose of erecting The Opera House Building on the corner of Oregon and Fifth streets. The capital stock of this new company was $25,000. Work was begun immediately after the organization of the company, and the building completed the following season. The ground space occupied is seventy-five feet on Fifth street and Eighty feet on Oregon street. On the ground floor are three stores, each twenty-five feet front and eighty feet deep. On the second floor is the Opera House, 80X50 feet, with a stage 20X15, and on the third floor the hall of the Masonic Fraternity.
The Opera House which, as the only place of its sort in the town, deserves special mention, is very neatly fitted up with folding chairs for 300 spectators, but has room for half as many more. The scenery consists of four sets of flats, very neatly painted. At each side of the stage are dressing rooms of convenient size. The entrance to the house is by a broad, straight stairway leading from Oregon street. The lodge room of the Masons embraces the entire third floor, and was built for them by the building company, at a cost of $3,500. Its size is the same as that of the Opera House - 80X50 feet.
The First Floor. - The corner store of this building is occupied by the postoffice. The second by S. C. Hall, and the third by the drug store of Hulse & Kinsey.
700 Oregon Street; downtown area
This is the only such clock between Indianapolis and Denver on Highway U.S. 36. It was built in 1891 as part of the First National Bank building and is listed on the Kansas Register. The clock is owned by the City of Hiawatha and the building by a local businessman.
Brown County Historical Museum
611 Utah Street, South of Brown County Courthouse Square
It is owned and operated by the Brown County Historical Society. This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Hours 10-4 Tuesday-Saturday. There is an admission charge.
Brown County Ag Museum
E. Iowa Street, West of Davis Memorial
It resembles a 1900 farmstead with a paved windmill trail for sightseers and joggers to use and enjoy. There is a log cabin replica that is the office, wash house, barn, brooder house, corn crib, cabinet shop, horse drawn implement building, antique tractor building and many windmills and wind chargers. Hours are: 10-4 — Tuesday-Saturday. There is an admission charge.
Mt. Hope Cemetery, E. Iowa Street
John Milburn Davis erected this memorial to "the sacred memory" of his wife, Sarah. After she died in 1930, he almost immediately commissioned the work to begin. In every sense, it was a monumental project. The lifesize Italian marble statues of the Davises were striking in their detail and their accuracy. The cost of the memorial was staggering in a small town during The Great Depression. The stubbornness of Davis toward his project in the face of public criticism was prelude to a legend. Most of the lifesize statues were commissioned, crafted in Italy and positioned at the memorial between 1931 and 1934. All but one of the stone figures is carved from Italian marble, which was deemed most suitable for a woman's delicate facial features. Estimated total cost of the memorial was $200,000, an extravagant sum during the Depression. The marble canopy over the main section of the memorial weighs 105,000 points -- more than 50 tons! The memorial has been featured in Newsweek, Life and People magazines and on a TV version of Ripley's Believe It or Not. The marble-and-granite display is visited annually by 20-30,000 people from across the United States and around the world.
Hiawatha City Lake
Located south of Hiawatha, the Hiawatha City Lake attracts many visitors because of its calmness and beauty. The lake is surrounded by maple trees and by meeting buildings that are for organization or public use. The lake is home to many geese, which can be fed by visitors. Some visitors fish at the site. On the south side of the lake there is a playground, and on the north side there is a sand volleyball court and more playground equipment. Hiawatha has expressed interest in building a bridge spanning the lake.
Hiawatha Aquatic Park
This is Hiawatha's main swimming pool located on E. Iowa Street that is open around Memorial Day in May until Labor Day in September. The pool features a zero-depth entry and a frog slide for toddlers. A splash mushroom is also in the low-depth area. A giant water slide is the pool's main attraction, along with the diving board. Concessions are available along with picnic areas. Swimming lessons, aerobics, and pool parties are all available. This is also home to the Hiawatha swim team and holds meets during summertime. Pool hours are 1-8 daily.
Hiawatha's tennis courts are located on S. 1st street and are available virtually all the time. There are 3 courts that are new and 2 courts that are old.
Baseball / Softball Parks
Bruning Park, located in west Hiawatha has 3 main fields; 2 for baseball, 1 for softball. Other fields are available, but are not managed. Bruning Park also has a concession stand and a small playground. The park is also home to soccer.
Noble Park is a recent addition Hiawatha that lies just south of the aquatic park. Deemed as one of the most premier Legion fields in the state, Hiawatha has been host to Zone and State Legion baseball tournaments. This is American Legion Post #66's home field. The park has a concession stand, batting cage, and playground. Every year the Leo Tritsch Memorial Tournament is held at Noble Park.
The Hiawatha Middle School softball field is home to Hiawatha High School softball practices and some games. The field lies between the middle school and the Fisher Center.
Running / Walking Tracks and Trails
The Hiawatha High School and Hiawatha Middle School both have tracks that are available for walking and/or running. There are also other routes for biking and jogging.
Morrill Public Library
The Morrill Public Library is Hiawatha's place for research, reading, and development. The library has many programs including Summer Kids Reading, Film Cafe, Writers Club, Discussion Groups, and Preschool Discovery Classes. The library holds books, magazines, newspapers, Internet service, CDs, and videos.
In February 2006, Hiawatha added a Super Wal-Mart to their list of shopping possibilities. The new facility is located in west Hiawatha. Dollar General is another shopping place. Hiawatha has many specialty stores, including jewelry, photography, crafts, quiltmaking, antiques, cards, home decoration, furniture, and office supplies. Other places include farm supplies, car dealerships, and flower shops. Hiawatha has grocery shopping at Lindy's Thriftway, Schwans, Wonder Bread, and Super Wal-Mart.
Fischer Center / Schuneman Addition
The Fisher Center is a facility next to the Hiawatha Aquatic Park that is used for many purposes. Wedding receptions, meetings, business affairs, debates, anniversaries, birthdays, reunions, and other celebrations are its main uses. The Schuneman Addition was completed in March 2006 and is a cultural hall and gym.
Hiawatha Country Club
The Hiawatha Country Club is Hiawatha's golf course. The country club also has a clubhouse and storage sheds. There is a practice green and tee. The country club also has a restaurant and a place for celebrations. The country club is host to a high school cross country meet each year and held Regionals in 2005. The country club is also renovating its old swimming pool, which should open in summer 2007.
Events in Hiawatha
Hiawatha's most recent festivity that includes lots of summertime fun. A car show, food, and music occur. Small booths around the courthouse square are there for browsing or shopping purposes. This year Hiawatha celebrates its 150th Anniversary and will have numerous activities during the summertime.
The Hiawatha Saddle Club sponsored a few mud runs starting in 2006. Held at the arena north of Hiawatha, the mud runs get visitors from all over the area who are vying for the top prize.
Maple Leaf Festival / Heritage Days
Held around the first weekend in October, this festival celebrates the autumn season. There are many small booths around the courthouse square and lots of things to see. The Brown County Ag Museum sponsors rides from the courthouse to the museum and a ride down historic windmill lane.
This is the United States' oldest Halloween parade. There are actually 2 parades, one in the afternoon and another in the evening. The parades include spooky floats, marching bands, Halloween Queen candidates, business floats, farm equipment, old-fashioned cars, motorcycles, horses, and scary people on foot. Halloween 2006 marks Hiawatha's 92nd annual parade. Kids also participate in pumpkin decorating contests, along with Halloween poster contests. Awards are given out to many people who put a lot of work into their Halloween projects.
Country Cabin, Gus' Family Restaurant, Heartland Restaurant, Hiawatha Country Club, Hiawatha's First Street Bar & Grill (New in 2005), Laurie Beth's Bakery & Deli, Elk's Lodge Restaurant & Lounge (New in 2007), China Food
McDonald's, Sonic Drive-In, Subway, Krispy Krunchy Chicken (New in 2006)
Pizza Hut, Hunt Brother's Pizza (New in 2006), Casey's General Store Pizza
Hiawatha Inn/Heartland Restaurant, Gateway Inn Express, Sunflower Motel, Country Cabins, Country Squire Motel & RV Park
Hiawatha High School
HHS is an accredited Class 4A school known for its proficient learning and great academic environment, and the campus lies on the far east side of Hiawatha. The high school is in rather circular form, with a domed circular gym nicknamed "The Roundhouse." The classrooms are also connected in "pods." HHS has an extended business department and has (relatively) current technology. Hiawatha also has one of the largest bands around, which takes a big trip to a music festival every 3 or 4 years. Previous trips have been Orlando, Florida and San Antonio, Texas. HHS also has a talented vocal music program. "West Campus" is a separate building for agricultural and industrial arts classes. Memorial Stadium lies just north of the school and a prairie trail area and practice field is east of the main school. In athletics, Hiawatha has won 2 girls' basketball state championships in 1978 and 1979 and a state football championship in 1980. The Hiawatha Red Hawks are a member of the Big 7 League, with a total of 8 teams in northeast Kansas. Athletics include: football, volleyball, boys' and girls' cross country running, boys' and girls' basketball, wrestling, boys' and girls' track and field, boys' and girl's tennis, softball, and boys' golf. Other activities and organizations include: Scholar's Bowl, Cheerleading, Color Guard, Dance Team, Journalism, Yearbook, Gifted-Talented Program, National Honor Society, Red Hawk Club, Kansas Association for Youth, International Club, Student Council, Red Hawk Reader's Club, Biology Club (travels to the Bahamas annually), National FFA Organization, Business Professionals of America, Family Career and Community Leaders of America, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Hiawatha High School gives away the most scholarships around to graduating seniors.